Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Watches: Christmas Watch List

There's always "another one" you could add to a list like this one, but this writer is pretty much in agreement with the pieces featured here.



-Haulogerie
We’ve accumulated some of this year’s greatest timepieces into a two-part series that consists of some very approachable (economically speaking) timepieces, and some not so much. Money isn’t an issue for us this Christmas, and in this ideal world we’ve created for ourselves we have thus come up with our lists for Santa to peruse. We’ve been as good as a “watch blogging” platform can be, so Santa, in all your wisdom and purity, please grant us our wish! (NB: this is going to be one expensive Christmas…)

Dear Santa,

For Christmas this year, I want…


Baume et Mercier Clifton Club ($2,850AUD)

I was fortunate enough to get spend some hands-on time with the Clifton Club earlier this year at an event with Baume et Mercier and Gregory Jewellers. It’s a fantastic little timepiece that bridges the gap between casual wearability and genuinely good watchmaking. An affordable stocking stuffer that I’d be happy to slap on my wrist on an early Christmas morning.


Richard Mille RM50-04 Tourbillon Chronograph Ultralight McLaren F1 ($980,000USD)

Oh boy. Now I’m probably pissing in the wind if I think Santa is going to bring me the RM50-04, but a man can dream, right? This is the kind of watch you get once you’re done doing the horological loopy loop. Fingers crossed. I swear I’ve been a semi-decent guy this year.


Rolex Sea-Dweller ($14,400AUD)

Rolex’s bad boy. And one of 2017’s highlights. The Sea-Dweller is Rolex’s modern marvel. A triumphant return to the top of the game (were they ever in any other position...). Elephant in the room: that cyclops window. I’ve long said it ruins the aesthetic flow of a timepiece, but I absolutely love its inclusion. Don’t forget this one, Santa!


Rolex Cosmograph Daytona ($36,450AUD)

The only other Rolex on my list is the 18k white gold Daytona. Never been a fan of the Daytona. I liken it to an old man’s aesthetic, very boring, not too exciting and kind of lame. But this is my exception. Since you’re getting me the Sea-Dweller, you might as well grab me the Daytona, right? Kill two birds with one stone. Many thanks.


H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Perpetual Calendar ($39,990USD)

We reviewed the Pioneer Perpetual Calendar a few months ago, remember? If not, quickly follow the link here, skim the text and come back. Okay, so we loved it then, and we’re still head over heels in love with it now. That’s why it’s on our list.


Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Perpetual Calendar Ceramic ($93,900USD)

How could we not add the Royal Oak QP in ceramic to our list? We don’t shy away from critiquing watches, nor do we back down from overly praising them either. We constantly show you images of it on our Instagram page, and once I open my perfectly wrapped Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Perpetual Calendar Ceramic on Christmas morning, I’ll post up a shot or two straight away. Santa, don’t disappoint our readers!


Girard-Perregaux Laureato Flying Tourbillon Skeleton ($123,000USD)

A controversial choice, yes. But please guys, you have to realise that this is actually an amazing watch. Expensive as hell, yep. But still absolutely gorgeous. I’ve chosen the pink gold version (which is slightly cheaper than her white gold sister) because I think it has a bit more of an x-factor to it. But let’s be real for a second, any Laureato will do. Thanks buddy!


MB&F Legacy Machine Split Escapement ($79,000USD)

I was so worried MB&F were going to ruin the Legacy Machine persona when they announced that the Legacy Machine project was going to end with a new generation of timepieces to replace them. But man, oh man, am I impressed. I can’t wait to wear the Split Escapement. I’ll be happy with either the black/ruthenium or yellow gold variant. Honestly, either one. I can’t wait to wind that insane mechanism. And that 44mm case will sit so well on my wrist. I’ll be posting live once I unwrap it guys.


Roger Dubuis Excalibur Aventador S ($185,000USD)

I chose the yellow version because I reckon it’d make Santa’s job a bit easier (88 pieces in yellow and only 8 in orange – I’m not a dickhead…). Why’d I choose this? 2017 was the year of Richard Mille. 2018 will be the year of Roger Dubuis. Yep, you heard it here first. This is an insane watch that just so happens to hold in it one of my favourite ever complications, the deadbeat seconds mechanism. I also love Lamborghini. Santa, this isn’t a coincidence. Make it happen, please.


Seiko Presage Cocktail Time SRPB43 ($650AUD)

So I figured I didn’t really want to be walking around with Sydney house deposits sitting on my wrist, and I’m going to need something low-key and dressy. The Clifton Club won’t do (it’s far too casual to wear with a suit and tie), and even though my tastes are super expensive and lavish, I’m a sucker for a good deal. And Seiko is horology’s constant good deal. This is an easy one, Santa. If I don’t get this, what luck do I have in getting the RM50-04. C’mon my man, get it done!

No comments:

Post a Comment