⚡ Breaking: A $35,000 check signed by Donald Trump on Aug. 1, 2017 (after he became president) will be displayed during Michael Cohen's testimony to the House Oversight Committee today, a source close to Cohen tells Axios.
- "It was another installment in the illegal hush money'reimbursed' to Cohen ... for [the Stormy Daniels] hush money payoff," the source said.
Excerpts from Cohen's opening statement, provided to the N.Y. Timesand others, and confirmed for Axios:
- "I am ashamed that I chose to take part in concealing Mr. Trump’s illicit acts rather than listening to my own conscience. I am ashamed because I know what Mr. Trump is."
- "He is a racist. He is a conman. He is a cheat. He was a presidential candidate who knew that Roger Stone was talking with Julian Assange about a WikiLeaks drop of Democratic National Committee emails."
- He once asked me if I could name a country run by a black person that wasn’t a 'shithole.' This was when Barack Obama was President."
- "While we were once driving through a struggling neighborhood in Chicago, he commented that only black people could live that way."
- "And, he told me that black people would never vote for him because they were too stupid."