Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Music: Chronixx in The Voice

His debut album "Chronology" (as opposed to the "mixtape "Dread and Terrible")  only moved 2400 units its 1st week o nthe Billboard charts, but I doubt Chronixx is daunted by that. here is a feature byu Joel Campbell in the latest issue of The Voice

Sitting in his hotel prior to the last show on his whistle-stop tour of the UK, Chronixx doesn’t mind admitting he’s nervous. He’s not nervous of the performing, however – anyone who saw him in Brixton that night will know that his stage presence and delivery is polished. The nerves surround the release of his debut album Chronology, a project the 24-year-old has put his heart and soul into. “(The album) is a nice thing – I’m looking forward to it,” Chronixx admits. “I’m not worried about how it will be received, but I’m a bit nervous.
[. . .] Before landing on these shores, Chronixx – whose full name is Jamar Rolando McNaughton – had just experienced his longest stint in America where he appeared on the likes of the Jimmy Fallon show, promoting himself and his upcoming album.
While he says the tour was an eye opener, he describes the UK and London in particular as a whole different ball game. “America was very good – it was a very interesting tour, it was fun,” he says. “It was my longest tour and the biggest one ever in terms of the numbers we got to share the music with. London is a different story – a story by itself, different from the rest of the world. The history of England and our music is very deep. I feel like we are still yet to see what will become of the years and years of musical and cultural impact between the UK and Jamaica.”
Having produced classics in the shape of Here Comes Trouble, They Don’t Know and Smile Jamaica, the hype that surrounds Chronixx is no new phenomena. So, how has the humble artist found his feet in a hectic music industry that has catapulted him to the heady heights of his current fame? “I didn’t really have any expectation other than that my music would get better and better, and that I would become more experienced and more knowledgeable of what I am doing. As far as that is concerned, it worked out pretty well. Everything else is a blessing, and it’s very interesting and intriguing every single time."
“The most pleasing part is the level of freedom and confidence that I have managed to cultivate within myself to create music, and without feeling like I have to over judge myself or become too conscious of my vulnerabilities and my ability to do the wrong thing at any time. That’s a very positive thing I have noticed within myself in terms of growth and the journey from where we came from to where we are now.” Just as important as connecting with an adult audience, Chronixx says being a reggae artist who has captured the hearts and minds of children fills him with joy. “One of the reasons a lot of children gravitate to the music I sing is because I was still a child when I was writing a lot of those tracks,” he says.
“It still has that high level of innocence. Even to me, listening back to the songs as a person who is older than I was then, some of the words are only making sense to me now. But what it has is that innocence and that purity. My thoughts back then were pure and about the music and how I could get emotions, inspirations, memories and vibrations out as music. That’s all I was trying to do in those times.
“So that deep love for it and that purity came out in the music. Any song that is written with that type of intention will eventually find its way.” [. . .]

No comments:

Post a Comment